Edo Castle is located in Chiyoda in Tokyo.Tokugawa Ieyasu established the Tokugawa shogunate here. It was the residence of the shogun and location of the shogunate, and also functioned as the military capital during the Edo period of Japanese history. After the vacation of the shogun and the Meiji Restoration, it became the Tokyo Imperial Palace.
We must pass some gates to go from Ote-mon Gate to the main palace. Ote-mon Gate was guarded most strictly at the front gate of Edo Castle. Fudai daimyo of the specific nucleus(a class of daimyo who were hereditary vassals of the Tokugawa in Edo period Japan) guarded the gate with responsibility.
(A) The watari-yagura was completely burnt down during World War II on April 30, 1945. Restoration took place from October 1965 through March 1967, to repair the kōrai-mon and its walls, and the Ōte-mon was reconstructed.
Three gates are omitted in the case of Edo-jo Castle in SL. The mark of Malvaceae is a crest of the the Tokugawas
(B) The Shoin-mon gate was the gate of the palace, and the daimyo honored with an interview with Shogun left one’s sword with a subordinate here.
The residential Honmaru Palace and the gardens of the shogun and his court were constructed around the castle keep in the Honmaru area. It consisted of a series of low-level buildings, connected by corridors and congregating around various gardens and courtyards or lying detached, similar to the structures that can be seen in Nijo Castle in Kyoto today. These structures were used for either residential or governmental purposes such as audiences.
(C) The Ō-omote (Great Outer Palace) contained reception rooms for public audience and apartments for guards and some officials;
A corridor is surrounded the building of the palace with entirely.
(D) The noh stage
(F) Shiro shoin (White study room), used for meetings with imperial messengers.
(G) The Naka-oku (middle interior) was where the shogun received his relatives, higher lords and met his counselors for the affairs of state;
(I) Ōoku (great interior) contained the private apartments of the shogun and his ladies-in-waiting. The great interior was strictly off-limits and communication went through young messenger boys.
(J) The foundations of the main donjon or tower (known as the tenshudai are all that is left of the once mighty structure. The donjon was located in the northern corner of the Honmaru enceinte. The measurements are 41 metres width from east to west, length of 45 metres from north to south, and height of 11 metres. A five-storey donjon used to stand on this base which had a total height of 51 metres and was thus the highest castle tower in the whole of Japan, symbolising the power of the shogun. The donjon with its multiple roofs was constructed in 1607 and ornamented with gold. It was destroyed in the 1657 Fire of Meireki and not reconstructed.